Whether you’re native, new, or just visiting, below is my insiders guide for my favorite spots to hang out in H-town!
Even though I’m from Houston I never really got to experience the whole city for what it is until I moved back after graduating from college. Shortly after college Alex and I moved into the city and since then we have been soaking in every bit that Houston has to offer. I’m sharing some of our favorite places below!
- Buffalo Bayou– This is a really unique place to Houston that we really take pride in. While the water most of the time tends to be a shade of brown its really fun to go kayaking, take a walk around the park with your fur babies, or for the athletic type a run! The park is filled with great views of the city and unique art sculptures, on a pretty great day there is not a spot more perfect for a picnic!
- The Cistern– This is something you have to see! The Cistern at Buffalo Bayou Park is a former drinking water reservoir built in 1926 for the City of Houston. It closed in 2007 but just recently opened to the public. You can buy tickets for the tour by clicking the above link- trust me it’s beautiful.
- Bike riding on The Heights Trail- The Heights is a beautiful historic neighborhood in Houston, there is a trail that runs though it and it makes for a beautiful walk or ride.
- Heights Theater– This Concert venue is restored movie theater from the 1900’s and they always have a great line up.
- Shopping on 19thStreet– 19th Street is in the Houston heights neighborhood with unique curated shops. This street offers something for everyone, also so many great places to stop for a drink or some food!
- Breweries- On a sunny Saturday this is where you can find us with our fur baby, my favorite ones are 8thWonder, Karbach, Buffalo Bayou, and Town and City
- Beer Can house– Literally a house made of beer cans, and yes it’s as awesome as it sounds.
- Discovery Green– Discovery Green is a big park in the middle of Downtown, in the winter they have an outdoor ice skating rink, and in the summer movies on the Lawn.